Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Hats. I Cannot Freaking Believe It.

So, Miach won May Coronet. And I've been meaning to blog it. 
Everything has changed.
Sean/Eoin is taking back the Seneschal position for Mountain's Gate, Gregory of St.Albans took over the Principality Chirurgeonate as of one week ago, at Golden Rivers Championship Tourney. It's been a really whirlwind 2 weeks. I will never forget it, and I hope to survive until Investiture. Which I hope will be fantastic and entertaining.
I found a great garb site, Historic Enterprises, and I'm wearing garb from them in the photo above. I bought four additional pieces after Miach won Coronet, because while we are blessed with a ton of support, there's no way we can get decent clothes for upcoming June Crown and now we kind of HAVE to look pretty good. What's really sad is that I'm going to be shrinking out of all the great stuff that we're working on, and all the great stuff from Historic Enterprises. And by then, I'll probably be too broke to buy more! 
I can't believe I'm sitting here writing this. This blog has gone from housing boom/bust, to SCA/medieval, to chickens, to Gastric Bypass, and now back to SCA/medieval. Because the hats used to scare me so much, and now I have one myself. My dad always said I could be a Princess, but Miach actually made me one. 
Oh, I have to talk about the tournament!
It was truly the best way that Miach could ever have hoped to have won. He took every shot that he felt, that wasn't on the flat. He took shots that he didn't HAVE to take. This was our decision, for the greater good of his SCA trajectory. WE GAVE UP THE NOTION OF WINNING CORONET, AFTER TALKING OVER EVENTS THAT OCCURRED AT BELTAINE. We decided that Coronet was not likely winnable the way that we wanted to win it, and therefore we probably wouldn't win it. And then we did. Because Miach fought honorably, chivalrously, and very very skillfully. His worthy opponent in Finals was Sir Heinrich and he also fought honorably, chivalrously and very very skillfully. We could not have hoped for a better Finals, and right up to the last fight, I did not believe that Miach would win. People told me afterward that they heard the solid clang of the headshot, although very few actually saw it. And just like that, in that second, everything changed. 
Miach cried, many other people cried. Of course, I didn't cry at this, the most meaningful moment so far of my SCA life -- even though I've cried at proposals offered to others from the field, at the emotion of others in Court, at Miach getting his Rose Leaf and his Ash Leaf. I was stunned. Just too stunned and unbelieving. 
So, just as Teresa told me, half our team of Coronet Cooks ended up not being able to cook because they'd won Coronet. I hadn't believed her, but she was prescient. 
I ate too much at feast, and had to burp up a lot on the way home from Quincy. I had to leave that very night, and did not get home until 1:30 am, and had to work that day. And immediately, it all began falling together: I was able to get GWW off due to a co-worker switching to another department and vacating those days on the vacation calendar. We notified family. We bought Arnold a plane ticket. Juliana agreed to be head of court. Miach called Miriam almost from the tourney field to let her know he'd won wearing Mike's coat of plate. Morgan and Siobhann were thrilled.
Oh, there have been problems and snarls and high emotion the last couple weeks, but we're now off and flying and hoping that we can just make it to Investiture, in garb that reflects our new station, with friendships and familial relationships intact. We've ordered bling, we've purchased fabric, we've gathered a most awesome crew of artisans, and court attendants, and wranglers of artisans and court attendants.
We have harpers, and special projects craftspersons. We have historical consultants to our Celtic reign. 
Planning all this and scheduling it out has gone a long way toward taking a lot of the anxiety out of it. The pressure, in one sense, is now off. Miach won Coronet.


No comments: