Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Fermented Cabbages Part Two

Kimchi definitely smells strong, but has a lovely spicey/fishy/veggie taste. I can see why people like this stuff. Kraut on the right, it's pink because it's a mix of red and green cabbage, and you can see the caraway seed and juniper berries if you look close. The brine-filled bags I was using to weigh the kraut down evidently broke, so I switched to a salad plate which fits perfectly into the bucket. The kraut has a definite sour taste now, but is still very crunchy. I'll bottle some of it up for the Emeritus Feast auction next week, and the same with the kimchi - only I'm going to try to get some carbonation going on the kimchi, so I'll leave it at room temp. Miach likes the kimchi, so that's a good sign. Although he did say "it's beginning to smell ripe out there!" when I went out to the back deck to dig around in my fermentation box.

No comments: