Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Final Fermented Cabbages

So here we have them, the Kimchi (3 and 3/4 jars) and the Kraut (5 and 4/5 jar, plus one jar of kraut juice). The Kimchi continues to be a delight, with complex flavors. The saltiness has subsided, and the pepper heat is just about perfect for my taste, which is kind of in the low middle range. The Kraut is very tart with a very kraut-y aroma, and it's the consistency that I remember from my childhood although I think it would have been a better consistency had I refrigerated it a week ago. The juniper berries were a wild card for me, as I've never eaten them before, only attempted to make ale with them. They don't taste the way I expected, which was more like a pine tree. They taste peppery.

I'm leaving the Kimchi out at room temp for a day or so, and watching for bubbles. Hopefully, I'll get a few, then I'll refrigerate it. The Kraut is going straight into the fridge, because it's texture is already soft.

As you can see, these are colorful ferments. They're really lovely.

Right after I poured the rest of the kraut juice down the sink (where it will hopefully survive in our septic tank) I realized I should have given it to the chickens. Darn. So I did take out the Kimchi brine for them, and they drank it. The microflora in those liquids is good for chickens, too!

No comments: