Friday, July 5, 2013

One week to go to Investiture

I'm starting to have trouble sleeping.
The Investiture garb project hit a huge snag when Miach's tunic arrived and was too tight. Miach didn't want me to tell our artisan/tailor, he just wanted to have someone local fix it. However, I felt that would be very disrespectful, as I know that our tailor put all her energy and time into this and it was her creation. I wanted her to basically give us her blessing.
What ended up happening was she pulled entirely out of the project. So here we are, one week before Investiture, with the key component of MY garb (an ionar jacket) incomplete and totally un-embellished. She did send us all the embellishments she had made, and a very large quantity of embroidery floss.
I'm still kind of in shock, and emotionally somewhere between mortification that I've hurt her feelings and anger because she abandoned the project. If it was just a regular SCA person, I'd be angry, period. But this is someone I consider one of my best friends, someone who has done so much for us, someone who knows how much this Investiture means to me. And I really feel the project meant a lot to her, too, and she just burned herself out on it, and was very protective of the ownership of the artistry of the garb.
Plus, I'm not sure where this puts our Court for the Big Picture, because she is an integral part of our Court and I truly do not want to stress her out for the next big event: Great Western War and camping for a week, and food! We already had potential for emotional trauma with that event, as most of the former members of our household and our current Ri and Rian are at odds, and we were going to try to meet with both groups on different days/nights but the chance of insulting our Ri and Rian by that was high.
Not to mention that we have family going to Investiture, kids clothing being shipped to us, worry about them being confused or bored by what is a very long day even for SCA geeks, worried about what to feed them during the break between Courts.
I haven't learned my lines.
What if I have a sudden attack of Dumping Syndrome?????

On the positive side, I've lost a lot of weight since the GBP. And my joints mostly don't hurt, except my thumb joint where it joins my hand. I have started walking faster, and I don't become short of breath any longer. I THINK I've stopped snoring, because I no longer wake up choking. Although I sometimes wake up at 6 am needing to go to the bathroom, I no longer wake up every 2 hours needing to go. I can cross my legs - but I mostly don't. My shoulders feel sharp. My wrists look thin, and so does my face. My knees are palpable. My ankles and feet are still fat, and still swell at times. I bought two pairs of sandals that fit, but don't look good because of the fat feet and ankles, but the Crocs are now way too wide and floppy.
I lose about two small handfuls of hair per day, and have been for about 3 weeks. I'm taking Biotin for that, and I also have horsetail and nettle but to be truthful haven't been using the herbs.
I also have discovered that sadly, I can eat all manner of stuff I'm not supposed to without feeling really full: bread, noodles, rice, potatoes, chips, cake, ice cream, etc. The only healthy things I can do that with are yogurt and cottage cheese! But meat? About 5 or 6 bites, and I'm full. I did discover a fairly good protein, 100% whey isolate, at Costco (again). They only stock the Vanilla flavor, but mixed with orange juice it tastes very good. 30 grams of protein a serving. And after only one unfortunate incident, I can eat protein bars without dumping, and those are 20 grams per bar. Plus, we just went through the worst heat wave in decades, with temps in the 110 - 120 range, and I stayed really well-hydrated by drinking at least 40 oz of protein drink during the day. I only got dry mouth once, and it used to be a daily thing in just normal summer temps prior to the surgery. That was my biggest fear, dehydration during the summer.

No comments: