Monday, March 11, 2013

Gastric Bypass Part 1 Day 5

Went to see my PCP today and my blood pressure is still high, so he prescribed a lower-dose prescription of Amlodipine, which we agreed I would crush and add to my protein drink every day. I'll have it rechecked in a month.
While at Costco, one of my favorite places in the world, I decided to get the big bag of chocolate-flavored whey protein powder and some almond milk, and I found a vitamin powder that you mix with 16 oz of water, called EcoDrink Complete Multivitamin. I'll try to drink 3 daily, but it does have 50 to 100% of 32 vitamins and minerals. Unfortunately, not Iron. I tried the Children's chewables, and they just taste awful to me. Too strong and chalky. My gummi vitamins are great, but I fear them getting stuck in my pouch opening, even if I chew them to mush -- although I'll probably resume them when I can advance to the pureed diet.
So, I'll probably survive for another week, even though I hope I'll be able to advance my diet on Wednesday when I see the bariatric surgeon. But the chocolate protein drink does not taste strong at all, the liquid vitamins are tolerable and seem safer than gummi's, and I'm making a duck broth from the meaty carcasses left over from the Feast that Mike did, with some carrots, onions, and garlic thrown in. I'm going to strain all that out, obviously, but it will enrich the broth and I can use my Himalayan salt and some pepper to season it, and it won't be as bad as bullion. I made more than enough for a week or two.
Feeling about like I did on Day 3, and unfortunately also had another day where I'm sure I pushed myself too  hard (walking in Costco is a lot of exercise post-op). Keeping an eye on the color of my urine, which was darker when I was in the hospital on IV fluids, so I'm thinking I'm fairly well-hydrated. Whew. This is hard work! I'm so glad I took a month off from work. Maybe next week, with Mike's help, I can get some compost into the raised beds and plant some turnips, kale, onions and beets.

No comments: