Thursday, March 28, 2013

Gastric Bypass Part 2 Week 3

I'm only going to do GB posts by the week now, because things don't really change that much!
Still really, really tired of protein drink mixes and find that they don't sit well on my stomach -- especially the vanilla one. The plain Unjury is still well-tolerated, but running out of it and trying to hoard it until my delivery from Unjury on Monday and my MD appt. on Weds next week when I can pick up whatever flavors from the sample pack delivered on Monday that I like, in addition to the plain.
I'll be making a road trip tomorrow to go to Caid and visit with Miriam for 3 days. I emailed her a list of my food choices, and I'm hoping for a miracle of creativity from her.
My thumbs really hurt, especially the left one. My right hip hurts, and causes me to walk funny. These problems are probably because I'm no longer taking my arthritis med, nor my glucosamine/chondroitin.
My b/p is staying in the 130s/70's range with half my usual dose of b/p med, though.
Bowels continue to be a problem, but I don't think there's much more I can do about it. I'm drinking as much liquid as I can get in, what with the need to drink protein as well. I'm not taking narcotics.
After trying a couple times to drink my kombucha, I've had to face facts: it does not sit well on my tummy.
In case you're wondering:
"does not sit well" = makes me feel queasy, but not really nauseated.
"sick"= makes me feel full-blown nausea, and or causes gagging/retching.
Coffee makes me sick. Kombucha doesn't sit well.
As far as appetite goes, I'm finding certain commercials about Friday's Jack Daniels burgers and appetizers very appealing, as well as friend's reports on Facebook on chicken pot pies, bacon, and other savory type foods. Sweets and desserts are not at all appealing.
As far as hunger goes, I don't have it, and I've begun to differentiate between "appetite" and "hunger". I really suspect that even if I could tolerate a Jack Daniels burger, or a pot pie, that I would not be able to eat more than two or three bites, even though my desire for them might still be present. I actually was unable to finish two little meals during the past week, because I was full. I'm sitting here right now, full from my protein drink that it's taken me 2 hours to finish. I'm supposed to eat lunch, but nothing really sounds good to me, because I'm full. The day begins to creep up on me, even when I start at 8am. It's difficult to get everything that's supposed to be going into my mouth in there within any given 24 hour period.
Physically, I'm feeling good. I get an occasional twinge on my right side, that I obsess about due to the fatty liver diagnosis post surgery. If I lay on my back without elevating my head a bit, my tummy feels stretched. And sometimes if I use my stomach muscles to sit up, I get a mildly tweaky sensation. However, all my little puncture wounds have healed, except for the uppermost one. That one has an internal suture that is poking out just a millimeter, but enough to keep it a little irritated. I no longer feel like I NEED a nap every few hours, and I can do the animal husbandry detail without any problems -- other than, I don't like going into the pasture because I'm afraid Oreo the Goat will butt me. He probably weighs 200 lbs, so that's not a trivial fear.
My skin feels dry all the time, which may have a lot to do with the weather but I suspect it also has to do with me just not being able to keep as hydrated as I have in the past. My feet and hands especially. I'm using a lot of shea butter on them.
My clothes have gotten much looser, and from my weekly weigh-in, I'm guessing I've lost about 20 pounds. I'm beginning to worry a little over when I might have to buy jeans and work slacks, but my tops should be OK for quite some time. And my casual wear/T-shirts will work for even longer. I'll need to figure out what to buy for the wedding trip next month; I'm thinking flowing pants and tunic top in dressier fabric, and some kind of cape-thing in case it gets cooler than I can tolerate, and flats.
Still haven't gotten EDD check, but it could be sitting down at the mailbox island right now for all I know.
And will get final word on jury duty this evening and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be released to enjoy my last week of recuperation before returning to work next week.

No comments: