Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Gastric Bypass Part 2 day 7

Kind of a setback today, and I'm not sure how to interpret it. I actually increased my meals to 2 tablespoons yesterday, and had no problems that I noted.
I had my usual protein shake and kombucha tea shot this morning, no problems. Waited 1/2 hour and had my scrambled egg portion, with a bit of grated cheese and salsa. Around 11:30, I had some intestinal cramping, not unusual for me prior to the surgery and the typical BM that I've experienced since the surgery, but the cramping soon turned into nausea and a lot of saliva, which I spit out onto tissue. Another wave of cramping hit about 15 minutes later, and more nausea, this time with retching which produced nothing. It was hard to stop the retching, which seemed entirely pointless, as nothing was coming back up. And true to the description of such things by others who've gone this route before me, it was not nearly as unpleasant as vomiting. Afterwards, I felt very cold and very tired, and a bit hesitant to continue with the fluids. Around 3:30, I convinced myself that I had damn well better start hydrating and I tried a scoop of the Unjury unflavored protein in 10 oz. of Mio-flavored water. It was OK, not tasty, and it took me 3 hours to get it all in, but I did.
Now it's time to think about my dinner meal and evening protein drink, and I'm not thinking highly of them.

I think this is more related to my bowels than my diet. The past two nights I've taken the pain med: yesterday to help me sleep so that I could get up early and deal with the EDD/disability nonsense and drive down to Sacto if needed to resolve it. The day before, it was to help me sleep so I could wake up and go to an early car repair appt. Well, I think I need to stop using the pain med. I think it's making me constipated, or at best making my bowels sluggish and causing undue cramping, which is causing agitation to my system and then nausea.
As it turned out, I had a lovely night last night sleeping to the sound of rain outside, and a mellow day today after I figured out the online registration process and confirmed with my surgeon's office that they could add their part online, as well, and they were aware of the change. Human Resources called me back and told me that they've been putting out a green sheet in their packets of paperwork for weeks, making people aware of the new process. My supervisor wasn't aware of it, though, and that's not surprising as Home Health tends to be the ugly stepchild of the healthcare system and no one ever remembers we exist when it comes to things like this.

No comments: