Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Gastric Bypass Part 2 Day 1

First, a synopsis of Day 6 of Part 1, since I skipped it: pretty much the same as Day 5. The multivitamin water had to be diluted to 1/3 or 1/4 strength to be palatable, so it's better for me than Mio but there's no way I can drink enough for it to be equal to my daily vitamin needs. The chocolate whey protein powder is FANTASTIC.

Now, on to Day 1 of Phase 2 Gastric Bypass diet: Pureed and soft foods! My surgeon says I'm doing well, and was pleased that I've been able to do the 60-80 grams of protein this past week. She said I can start Phase 2, with 1 tablespoon of soft or pureed food as a "meal" 3 x daily. No drinking for 30 mins before or after. The picture above is of a demitasse spoon and a spice dish with a tablespoon of lowfat small curd cottage cheese, which is the first thing I have eaten for a week. It was delicious.
Next week, I can advance to 2 whole tablespoons per meal! And the week after that, 3 tablespoons -- if I can tolerate it. I'm supposed to take as close to 30 minutes to eat as possible, and I came pretty close today, I think. Mike ate a whole foot long deli sandwich in the time it took me to eat my cottage cheese.
I was so happy when my surgeon said I could progress to this phase. In Star Wars The Old Republic MMO, there is a Party Jawa that you can deploy, who circles you in flight being held aloft by some balloons, with the sound of party favors being tweeted and confetti flying around. THAT'S how happy I was about this, and only wish I could deploy the Jawa IRL.
My surgeon also explained that I can't do a lot because I'm not eating enough to be able to sustain a lot of activity, and was pleased with the activity which I have been doing: walking out to the front lot, scattering scratch grain and loosing the chickens, then gathering eggs. I can also drive if I need to now, so long as I'm not taking narcotic med, which I only take at night and will probably stop taking the end of this week.
I can sit at my computer for a long time, and I should probably knock off the afternoon nap, but I really like afternoon naps and am so happy that I have time off to take them for awhile. I am also VERY glad that I do not have to go to work and try to manage any of this, because it is taking up most of my day. As a bonus, my knees don't hurt and my thumb joints have only twinged a few times -- not constantly, as they do when I'm hauling the bag in/out of my car and up/down stairs all day.
I don't have any idea how much weight I've lost. My PCP on Monday said 8 lbs since they last saw me in late February. My weight today was 286, and that's about where it was when I was doing the low-carb diet back before Christmas. So, I'm calling 286 as a starting weight -- the past week has been recovery and healing as a focus.

No comments: