Saturday, March 16, 2013

Gastric Bypass Part 2 Day 4

This is a random thoughts day, since nothing new is going on with my diet and not having any problems so far.

I have tried several sips of kombucha tea today, and so far, no dumping syndrome. Now, I DID find that it instigated a BM, but no pain or cramping or nausea or shakes or sweating. So, I don't think that was Dumping Syndrome. I think that was what kombucha tea has always done for me since I started drinking it. It does have sugar in it, but I'm thinking that if I let it ferment for 2 weeks vs. 1 week, it won't have nearly as much. So far, that seems to be working. I also had a tiny piece of sauerkraut, just to taste it since I was bottling it and another batch of kimchi. I smashed the heck out of that little piece, and ate it, and so far no problems. This is making me feel cautiously optimistic. I know yogurt is tolerated, and now it appears that kombucha and perhaps sauerkraut are. Ferments are very important to me, so I'm glad my system seems to be honoring this connection.
My energy level is much better. I feel my old self, actually. My arthritis has not been bothering me much at all; a bit in the thumbs, when I'm trying to screw off jar lids and such. Now, my right hip won't let me sleep on my right side, which started about 2 weeks prior to surgery. I used to sleep on my right side almost exclusively. Now, it's either my left side or my back. But it only bothers me when I lay on it. I can walk fine.     Mike went over the figures for the Emeritus Feast with Bonnie the Exchequer yesterday, and it appears that we made nearly $500 on the Feast and an additional $500+ on the auction. That's after they deducted the cost of food purchased. We were basically way under budget on Costco items, and way over budget on Nugget produce items, but it all evened out. We know now that we don't need to have quite as many courses, and we can keep it to two or three meat main courses. People couldn't eat everything. Even so, Mike only came back with a couple of duck legs and wings and about 3 servings of his pea/sausage (Conciela ala Apicius) featured menu dish. He says people ate multiple servings of that one. He brought back about a gallon of squash, which had been baked and then sauteed with spices. I pureed it. It will make a great soup. And he brought back about a half-gallon of grapes, and a couple cups of sauteed cucumbers, and about a quart of couscous with pork and apricots. The chickens ate all that. There were 80 people at the Feast, so he did a great job of planning with the advice of Anastasia and Gwendwyn, who have cooked many a feast.
About 2 weeks ago, I made another batch of kimchi and sauerkraut, since my son's wife evidently likes kimchi and my other son likes sauerkraut. Since the last batch I made of kraut was a bit on the soft side at 3 weeks, but perfect at 2 weeks, I decided to bottle up the kraut and kimchi today. Last time, I left the kimchi at room temp on my counter for a few days, so I'm doing that again. The kraut is in the back of the fridge.
Petra, who is evidently the autocrat for Golden Rivers tourney, has decided to do a German-style sideboard luncheon and she is using sauerkraut as a side dish. From postings about it, it would seem she's using commercial kraut, and then jazzing it up with juniper berries and caraway and perhaps bacon. I offered to make the kraut for this event, haven't had a response as yet. I could easily do 2 gallons, it would seem, since that is what I've done the last 2 times, using 4 to 5 heads of cabbage. I'm hoping she takes me up on the offer, rather than using pasteurized commercial kraut.
Filled out forms and wrote check for Egg Handler's Permit. We already have 8 dozen eggs since last Saturday. We need to start selling them! I'm going to make the market totes out of feed bags, too. And who knows? Maybe sell kraut or bread, too.


No comments: